Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that can be used to uniquely identify, contact or locate a single person. PII includes but is not limited to:
- Full name
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Driver’s licence number
- Vehicle registration plate number
- Credit card numbers
- Physical appearance
- Gender or race
Take these steps if you believe your PII has been compromised:
- Immediately change all passwords, and change your financial passwords first.
- If you used the same password for multiple resources, make sure to change it for each account, and do not use that password in the future.
- If you believe the compromise was caused by malicious code, disconnect your computer from the internet.
- Restart your computer in safe mode and perform a full system restore.
- Contact businesses, including banks, where you have accounts, as well as credit reporting companies.
- Close any accounts that may have been compromised.
- Watch for any unexplainable or unauthorized charges to your accounts.